Monday, July 21, 2008

Princesses?


I have a bunch of random thoughts that are circling around in my head. From paper mache to princesses to Google reader and so on. Last night I made a paper mache castle pinata for my daughter's birthday. Paper mache is easy to do but takes forever to dry especially because in Hawaii it is so humid. The castle turned alright. It took a lot of time making the frilly paper. I used streamer paper and had the help of my wife to cut the little strips. I could not do this in front of the kids because they would want to help and it would take twice as long also I guess I'm a control freak with art. I don't know if making paper mache pinatas is art but it took a couple of hours putting it all together. The whole reason I decided to make a pinata castle was because at Walmart they were selling it for $15.99! Ofcourse because it was the Disney Princess Pinata castle it should be worth that amount. Anyways my daughter is totally into Disney Princesses. I thought it was a phase because that was the theme of her little birthday party last year. And it is the same theme this year. I was thinking why princesses? Why does my daughter love Disney princesses? She has never seen all the movies that feature the Disney princesses. She somehow remembers and knows all their names. I don't mind it for now. I think of it that she wants to be a princess and thats okay. She won't be a little girl for long. Next year she goes to school and thats it. Shes going to school for 13 years straight and for 4 more years in college. And maybe more. I guess the feeling of my little girl is going to have to grow up. We don't always get along, she doesn't like to listen to me all the time. I guess its because she has a strong personality. She has a long Hawaiian middle name that means "to honor truth and light." There is a double meaning of the word of "light" in Hawaiian that we used. It could mean "the glow" or "the glow, the light that comes from fire". My wife and I joke that our daughter has the "fire" within her. We love our little fire princess.

2 comments:

Willing 'Ohana said...

Did you take a picture of it? I wanna see.

Unknown said...

Do you have a picture? I wanna see it too!