Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Free fun

Today was an eventful day @ our local library. Every Tuesday at 10:30am there is a book reading that is free at the library. Today was special, it was a free puppet show. I knew that I had to be there early cause last week we went there at 10:25 and there was no parking in the library. So today we got there half an hour early.
For the puppet show there was this lady that did finger puppets to Eensy weensy spider, No more monkeys jumping on the bed, the wheels on the bus, 5 little monkeys swinging on the tree and Old McDonald had a farm. There was the finale of the marionette puppets. Man there were tons of little kids there I think like 50 of them and lots of moms. And maybe 3 Dads. Sorry no pictures were allowed during the performance. I mean it wasn't that super professional anyways, but whatever. But all the kids there loved it.
Mikayla loved the marionettes because she loves the scene in the "Sound of Music" musical, where the Von Trap kids are doing the marionette play for their father. Mikayla calls it the "Yodel lay he hoo song".
So the library has some cool free entertainment there. Plus its cool there, physically cool, free AC. They had a reading program where you get a little treat if you read a couple of books to your kids. Last week was animal crackers.
Also another note of cool stuff at the library besides the cool free books to borrow is that you can rent DVDs for a week long for a dollar! Man, we get 3-4 at a time everytime we visit! You know we get the Disney classics or some lame ones that the kids want. Okay, I picked out the lame ones...by accident.
Yeah, I don't go to Mother's group. Thats something that the kids would enjoy but I feel weird going there without my wife. I was invited a few times but I felt "unmanly" whenever I attended. Plus what am I gonna talk about? "So you guys seen the game last night?" The real conversation will be, "Oh my husband does the craziest things." Uh, awkward. Yeah so I would like to make a Father's group but I'm the only one I know that is a stay at home father besides my cousin who lives in Laie.
I think that as a stay at home father you need to have time to let out some steam or relax. Its the same for all care takers. My time to relax is volleyball. I'm lucky my wife lets me play once a week. Physical exercise helps my mind release endorphins to help me think better and I just feel good. So I know when we switch roles, when I work and she stays home with the kids, she can have time for herself. She still needs that time now. We all do!

No comments: