Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lupulu is grindz! Part Ua

Yes I made lupulu again. Now I write the recipe

Ingrediments:

Palm Corn beef (the round can, made in New Zealand)
Taro Leaves
Coconut milk (canned is okay)
Onions
Salt and pepper

Tin foil
Cake pan or foil pan

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

Instructions:
  • Open the cans with the can opener, this can be done with a knife. (I seen this done before but you kinda need strong and steady hands and a sharp knife. I seen this done with my knife by my roommate. Don't try it if you're a wimp and safety conscious.)
  • Prep the tin foil, pulling out 2 sheets for one lupulu serving. Have the 2 sheets laying perpendicular, so you have like an "x".
  • Cut the stalks off the taro leaves and place the leaves facing up on your "x" tinfoil. Maybe 5-10 taro leaves.
  • Then shape the foil to a wide bowl with the leaves on it.
  • Put the desired amount of corn beef onto the leaves.
  • Put the desired amount of chopped onions and salt and pepper on the corn beef.
  • Pour half to the whole can of the coconut milk on to the meat and onions.
  • Then fold in the leaves.
  • Fold down the tinfoil and try not to spill out the coconut milk.
  • There you have one serving. It can be big or small depends how much leaves and meat you put inside. Repeat the making process for as much as want.
  • Place the wrapped lupulu in the pan. If you have more than you can fit in the pan. Don't stack it on top of each other. Get another pan. I made that mistake because it won't steam evenly.
  • Put in the oven for 400 degrees for 3 hours. If after 3 hours and you taste it and your tongue and throat is itchy, put it back in for a little longer.

Small kine tips

Where can you get taro leaves? Foodland and Tamura's have taro leaves. But I heard that a store called "Wong's" and another called "Masa's" has the best taro leaves. One is in Hau'ula and the other is either in Kahana or Kapahulu. I forget which is which. Both stores are along the Kamehameha Hwy. The store Masa's sells the best kine of coconut milk to cook your lupulu with. How I know all this? I asked my Tongan friend. Please leave comments if you have a better recipe or know where to get taro leaves in Utah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ThAnK yOu!! (MaHaLo) !!